Writer, editor, and content strategist based in Austin with more than 10 years of professional experience in media and nonprofits.
Director of Communications
Human Rights Foundation (HRF) New York, NY via Remote – October 2019 to March 2021
- Led digital strategy for advocacy campaigns on behalf of human rights defenders in authoritarian countries.
- Edited 3-5 articles for the web each week, as well as occasional reports and other long-form publications.
- Pitched stories and working with reporters and editors to secure coverage in top-tier media outlets, including the Associated Press, Reuters, CNN, The Washington Post, and Politico.
- Directed a team focused on content development, social advertising, search engine optimization, web development, and earned media.
- Increased audience engagement across social media channels by 87% and tripled the organization’s list of email subscribers year over year.
Associate Director of Communications
AARP Texas Austin, TX – February 2018 to July 2019
- Implemented new digital marketing strategies to increase awareness of the national organization’s local and state policy goals.
- Developed all Austin-area advocacy campaigns, aimed at increasing livability for the city’s growing senior population.
- Produced an investigative report on Texas’ assisted living facilities in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, leading to a rules change at Texas Health and Human Services to require greater emergency preparedness.
- Wrote all op-eds, press releases, and marketing materials.
The Texas Tribune Austin, TX – December 2016 to January 2018
The Texas Tribune Austin, TX – December 2014 to December 2016
The Texas Tribune Austin, TX – July 2012 to December 2014
- Served in successive positions of increasing responsibility on the revenue and events side of the nonprofit media organization.
- Managed the execution of all revenue-generating products, including newsletters, site ads, podcasts, sponsored content, and live events.
- Consulted corporate clients on campaign design, messaging, timing, and performance.
- Produced 100+ politics and policy events, including the Texas Tribune Festival, with more than 3,000 attendees annually.
Sundance Film Festival Park City, UT – October 2011 to February 2012
- Hired and trained a team of three assistant editors to produce a printed 60-page film guide and 240-page film catalog in a period of three months.
- Created a series of new workflows to improve communication between departments while delivering all publications ahead of schedule.
San Antonio Current San Antonio, TX – June 2010 to October 2011
- Selecting pitches and managing the alt-weekly's editorial calendar of art, culture, and food features.
- Writing headlines, display copy, and features for print and the web.
The Daily Texan Austin, TX – January 2006 to June 2008
- Editing the weekend section of the country's largest student-run newspaper.
- Directing theme and content for the weekly print and digital editions.
- Assigning stories to writers and editing all copy.
- Advocacy Communications
- Content Strategy
- Campaign Management
- Social Media
- Search Engine Optimization
- Content Management
- Web Development
- Digital Marketing
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Google Analytics
Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Central Texas, 2013 to Present
Oslo Freedom Forum, 2019
Best Cause-Related Campaign
Roy W. Howard College Journalism Award
Bachelor's Degree in Journalism
The University of Texas at Austin